Fedex Freight - Fedex Freight Shop Technician 1 in Bethpage, New York
Job ID 419634BR
Job Title: Shop Technician 1
Address Line 1: 251 Grumman Rd West
State: New York
Zip Code: 11714
Position Status: Full-Time
Work Hours: 8
To provide timely, quality, and cost effective repair and maintenance for vehicle fleet including tractors, trailers, forklifts and other equipment that requires preventative maintenance, troubleshooting, repairs, modifications and documentation to ensure a safe and efficient fleet of vehicles.
ESSENTIAL JOB DUTIES/RESPONSIBILITES:
Repairs, modifies and performs preventive maintenance inspections; troubleshoots vehicle fleet including tractors, trailers, forklifts and other equipment.
Analyzes and diagnoses source of trouble, disassembles equipment and performs repairs and/or replaces or rebuilds all components and systems
Makes necessary adjustments in equipment for safe and efficient operation and prepares required safety documentation
Provides guidance and mentoring to lower-level technicians when required
Ensures proper and accurate documentation of all maintenance performed, completes reports in writing and electronically
Performs safety inspections of equipment and prepares required safety documentation
Performs paint and body work on vehicles, as required
Comply with all applicable laws/regulations, as well as company policies/procedures
Perform other duties as required
Disclaimer: This job description is general in nature and is not designed to contain or to be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities and qualifications required of employees assigned to the job.
• High School Diploma (or GED)
• Must have a minimum of five (5) years’ experience performing vehicle maintenance; a heavy duty vehicle maintenance certificate obtained from an accredited vehicle maintenance vocational/trade school may substitute for one year vehicle maintenance experience
• Medium/Heavy Truck Master ASE Certification preferred
• Class A CDL preferred
• ASE Certification in Brakes, Electrical, PMI and Diesel Engines required
• Brake Inspection Certification eligible
• Must possess necessary tools to perform assigned tasks
• Valid driver’s license may be required depending on work assignment
• Must possess proficient computer skills including email, maintenance programs, and diagnostic systems
• Must possess in-depth knowledge of late model gas and diesel engines and on-board computers
• Experience using oxygen/acetylene equipment (cutting, heating, bending, fabricating equipment during repair)
• Experience using lifting devices (bottle, floor, wheel, or transmission jacks, floor cranes, etc.)
• Experience using precision measurement instruments (micrometers, dial indicators, electronic multimeters/testers, A/C charging station, etc.)
• Able to frequently lift components weighing approximately 110 pounds with appropriate equipment and/or assistance from another person
• Ability to safely operate vehicles equipped with manual or automatic transmissions
• Ability to enter and exit the driver’s compartment of the truck and/or behind cab using normal available footholds and handholds
• If paint and body work duties required, experience required
• If forklift repair duties required, prior forklift repair experience required
• Ability to follow instructions and complete required training
• Ability to work independently and/or as a team member
• Proficient written and verbal communication skills
• Exposure to heavy traffic areas while performing the duties of the job
• Exposure to considerable amounts of dust, diesel fumes and noise
• May be required to drive service van to off-site locations and perform work
• Exposure to climate conditions of the geographic area
• Exposure to chemicals, oils, greases, paints or other irritants
• Hours may vary due to operational need
Division Category: Maintenance
Company Name: FedEx Freight Inc.
FedEx Freight is an Equal Opportunity Employer, including disabled and veterans.
If you have a disability and you need assistance in order to apply for a position with FedEx Freight, please call 800-888-8252 or e-mail at ADAAssistance@freight.fedex.com.
FedEx Freight will not discharge or in any other manner discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment because such employee or applicant has inquired about, discussed, or disclosed the compensation of the employee or applicant or another employee or applicant. However, employees who have access to the compensation information of other employees or applicants as a part of their essential job functions cannot disclose the pay of other employees or applicants to individuals who do not otherwise have access to compensation information, unless the disclosure is (a) in response to a formal complaint or charge, (b) in furtherance of an investigation, proceeding, hearing, or action, including an investigation conducted by the employer, or (c) consistent with the contractor’s legal duty to furnish information.