Fedex Freight - Fedex Freight Driver Apprentice in Des Plaines, Illinois
Job ID 421755BR
Job Title: Driver Apprentice
Address Line 1: 2300 S Mount Prospect Rd
City: Des Plaines
Zip Code: 60018-1812
Position Status: Full-Time
Work Hours: 2pm-10pm
Type of need for Driver Apprentice Positions: City
Through education and driving skills development, become proficient in the operation of a tractor trailer combination. Responsibilities include non-driving duties such as forklift operation and working the dock.
ESSENTIAL JOB DUTIES/RESPONSIBILITES:
Perform freight handling using appropriate motorized and manual equipment, including but not limited to: forklift, pallet jack and hand truck
Perform pre-trip and safety inspections on equipment
Hook/unhook trailers and converter dollies to/from a tractor and/or trailer
Verify documentation matches freight description (e.g. type, weight, hazardous materials), using current electronic or manual system
Secure freight inside trailers using appropriate tools and supplies (e.g. pallets, straps, rope)
Recoup/repair damaged freight when necessary
Verify and complete required documentation and reports
Assist customers with freight and freight documentation as needed
Comply with all applicable laws/regulations, as well as company policies/procedures
Perform other duties as required
Disclaimer: This job description is general in nature and is not designed to contain or to be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities and qualifications required of employees assigned to the job.
• Must possess a class A Commercial Driver’s License (CDL) or a CDL permit prior to entering job classification
• Must possess acceptable Motor Vehicle Record (MVR) based on hiring standards
• Must meet all Department of Transportation (DOT) regulatory requirements under section 391 of the Federal Motor Carrier (FMC) regulations
• Ability to count and perform basic math, with or without a calculator
• Basic written and verbal communication skills
• Ability to lift/carry hand freight of varying weights several times a week, to lift dock plates weighing approximately 100 pounds, and to open trailer doors requiring approximately 75 pounds of lift force, up to several times per day or more
• Ability to sit for extended periods of time, bend, twist, squat, climb in and out of truck
• Ability to follow instructions and complete required training
• Ability to work independently and/or as a team member
• Exposure to noise and vibration
• Exposure to dust and diesel fumes
• Exposure to hazardous materials shipped and packaged under DOT regulations
• Hours may vary due to operational need
Division Category: Courier/Tractor-Trailer Driver
Company Name: FedEx Freight Inc.
FedEx Freight is an Equal Opportunity Employer, including disabled and veterans.
If you have a disability and you need assistance in order to apply for a position with FedEx Freight, please call 800-888-8252 or e-mail at ADAAssistance@freight.fedex.com.
FedEx Freight will not discharge or in any other manner discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment because such employee or applicant has inquired about, discussed, or disclosed the compensation of the employee or applicant or another employee or applicant. However, employees who have access to the compensation information of other employees or applicants as a part of their essential job functions cannot disclose the pay of other employees or applicants to individuals who do not otherwise have access to compensation information, unless the disclosure is (a) in response to a formal complaint or charge, (b) in furtherance of an investigation, proceeding, hearing, or action, including an investigation conducted by the employer, or (c) consistent with the contractor’s legal duty to furnish information.