Fedex Freight - Fedex Freight Technician in South Chesterfield, Virginia
Job ID: 441882BR
Address Line 1: 16201 Walthall Industrial Pkwy
City: South Chesterfield
Zip Code: 23834
Position Status: Full-Time
Work Hours: varies based on shift bid outcome
To provide timely, quality, and cost-effective repair and maintenance for vehicle fleet including tractors, trailers, forklifts, and other equipment that requires preventive maintenance, troubleshooting, modifications, and repairs.
ESSENTIAL JOB DUTIES/RESPONSIBILITIES:
Performs preventative and routine maintenance on tractors, trailers, forklifts, and other equipment
Performs basic diagnostics to identify source of trouble and makes necessary adjustments to equipment for safe and efficient operation
Works with other technicians in performing preventative maintenance and repairs
Ensures proper and accurate documentation of all maintenance performed, completes reports in writing and electronically
Performs safety inspections of equipment and documents the work
Performs paint and body work on vehicles, as required
Comply with all applicable laws/regulations, as well as company policies/procedures
Perform other duties as required
Disclaimer: This job description is general in nature and is not designed to contain or to be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities and qualifications required of employees assigned to the job.
• High School Diploma (or GED), preferred
• Must have one (1) year experience performing vehicle maintenance or either possess (or be within sixty (60) days of obtaining) a vehicle maintenance certificate from an accredited vocation/trade school or completion of the FedEx Freight, Inc. Apprentice Program with satisfactory performance.
• One or more Medium/Heavy Truck ASE Certifications and Class A CDL preferred
• Must possess necessary tools to perform assigned tasks
• Valid driver’s license may be required depending on work assignment
• Knowledge of the use and operation of testing equipment, gauges and tools associated with vehicle troubleshooting and repairs
• Basic computer skills including maintenance programs, and diagnostic systems
• Basic knowledge of gas and diesel engines
• Familiarity with precision measurement instruments, oxygen/acetylene equipment, and lifting devices (bottle, floor, wheel, or transmission jacks, floor cranes, etc.) preferred.
• Able to frequently lift components weighing approximately 110 pounds with appropriate equipment and/or assistance from another person
• Ability to safely operate vehicles equipped with manual and automatic transmission
• Ability to enter and exit driver’s compartment of truck and/or behind cab using normally available foot and handholds
• Paint and body work experience preferred
• Ability to work independently and/or as a team member
• Basic written and verbal communication skills
• Exposure to heavy traffic areas while performing the duties of the job
• Exposure to considerable amounts of dust, diesel fumes and noise
• May be required to drive service van to off-site locations and perform work
• Exposure to climate conditions of the geographic area
• Exposure to chemicals, oils, greases, paints or other irritants
• Hours may vary due to operational need
Division Category: Maintenance
Company Name: FedEx Freight Inc.
FedEx Freight is an Equal Opportunity Employer, including disabled and veterans. If you have a disability and you need assistance in order to apply for a position with FedEx Freight, please call 800-888-8252 or e-mail at ADAAssistance@freight.fedex.com. FedEx Freight will not discharge or in any other manner discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment because such employee or applicant has inquired about, discussed, or disclosed the compensation of the employee or applicant or another employee or applicant. However, employees who have access to the compensation information of other employees or applicants as a part of their essential job functions cannot disclose the pay of other employees or applicants to individuals who do not otherwise have access to compensation information, unless the disclosure is (a) in response to a formal complaint or charge, (b) in furtherance of an investigation, proceeding, hearing, or action, including an investigation conducted by the employer, or (c) consistent with the contractor’s legal duty to furnish information.